Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bat in the Shower! :o

From BM:

Was going to update the blog after I took a shower until I saw a flash of brown and flutter of wings coming at my face. Decided to skip the shower until tomorrow! They've got some big bats here.. Been having some computer issues as well, the screen starts to fade to blank in the middle of me using it, which makes it real hard to update this blog. Pray that that would stop so I can keep using it to contact my family and for the class I've been teaching.

Speaking of which! The English classes have been going well! Just finished my first full week at the two schools in town, and teaching at the village about 20 kilometers away tomorrow morning. Never been to this village before, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. In the other two classes I probably have about thirty students combined, it tends to fluctuate from day to day. Really wanted to get a picture of both classes for the blog but kept forgetting until the very end of my last class this evening after I'd already prayed and said good night. I whipped out the camera and called who was left to be in the photo, so its missing a good chunk of students. Didn't help that the monsoon rains kicked in real hard about ten minutes before I left. 

I've never taught in a classroom setting before, much less in a foreign country where I don't know the language, but God has been good in giving me ideas to use and awesome students. They go to school all day long and are coming to this right afterward to study more from a volunteer teacher. Just shows how eager they are to learn the language I spose! They don't want to use the English books in town however since that's what the nationals use to teach with themselves. So I been making up my own curriculum and using Powerpoint and such to help with the lessons. Played a whiteboard game yesterday where I broke them into teams, they were really getting into it. Probably because the winning team got suckers but either way, it was fun. :) Even though both of these schools meet inside a church building, some of my students are Buddhist. Pray that God might help me be an effective witness of Christ to them and that I would regularly incorporate prayer and Scripture when I teach.

About half of the English students


 Pastor Vuthy, some of whose children are in my class, wants me to preach at his youth group next weekend. Never done that before either, so I could use prayer for boldness, and that God's Spirit might speak through me and through the language barrier and interpreter to teach them some truth from Scripture. Still not entirely sure what I'm saying, but I've got some ideas. 

That's all I'll say for now. Should be putting up another one this weekend, supposed to be going to a Cambodian wedding on Sunday so I'm excited for that and hope to get some more pictures up as well. God bless!

Political party rally going past, they had about fifty truckloads of people speed by. Election time is coming!

Tastes absolutely nothing like stawberries, more like cheese puffs... ?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Brother Mark,
    I am so very proud of you doing all these things you have never done before. Have been praying that God equip you with the skills to teach both English and God's word to the people you encounter. I hope you have fun at the wedding and enjoy experiencing their culture. I'm sure it will all be fascinating. Keep the photos coming (hope the computer holds up).

    God's blessings to you and to Father Mark in your mission efforts!
    Love,
    Mums

    ReplyDelete