Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Finally Arrived!

The Cambodians have been referring to me (Mark Wegner) as Brother Mark and Mark Masingale as Father Mark. So I guess that's what we'll do for the blog! Looks like it has been some time since the last post. Wanted to give everyone that had the blog address a formal post on my trip here. Much has happened since I was dropped off at the airport in Spokane, WA.

The trip over was very long, got stopped in the airport by TSA for having some potassium nitrate in my luggage to use for curing meat in Cambodia but its also an oxidizer so they didn't like that. Made it through okay though and caught all my flights. Asian airlines are actually a lot nicer than American airline companies. Made it into Phnom Penh around 11 PM local time. Found a guest house (hotel) to stay at for the night, and then made my way to the bus station in the morning.

Sat next to a man named Luy who was born in Phnom Penh and was now working in planting churches all over the country who spoke English very well. It was a big encouragement for me and he started helping me learn the language and some of the history of the area as we passed things on the bus. He stopped the bus driver when we missed my stop too and told me which direction to go from there. After a little bit I was picked up on a moto by Chan, one of Mark's employees.

We visited a village on Sunday. Did a VBS with the kids and played some games. They seemed to enjoy it before it started downpouring, happens pretty much once a day in during monsoon season. Got to see some of the Vietnamese floating villages and share a bit of my story with them.

I'm set up to teach English five nights a week for two-three hours at three different schools. I've never exactly done this before so it's a little intimidating and I'm not entirely sure what their expectations are. Just been trying to lean on God for support in that and offer it up to Him in prayer. Much more to come, keep the prayers comin!


Eating some Golan Pnum (sp?)
 VBS with kids from the village



Update from Father Mark on the business:

His friend Patrick gave him money to build a pizza oven to get the restaurant he's running off the ground. Just bought a new table to help things go smoother as well. Only been running the restaurant for two weeks but brought in over four hundred dollars last week which was a big deal, the money stretches a lot farther here than it does in the States. Got a box hooked up to the moto as well for delivering pizzas that stay warm and put some signs for the restaurant on it as advertising. Also made a fresh batch of pepperoni and italian sausage today! God bless all.




1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to see these photos! What an amazing experience. I know you are going to love your time there. What a blessing for you and for the people there. Keep us posted! Love you Brother Mark. :-)
    Mums

    ReplyDelete