Saturday, August 25, 2012

Co-ops and lizard


August 25, 2012

Just had coffee with a man from Germany who is working with pepper farms.
He started a co-op with pepper farms.  He is going to get me a
copy of their by-laws.  Gave me so much info.  I am going to be
meeting with him a lot. He has a very good relationship with the Minister
of Agriculture and Fisheries.  

One of the most important things he said was to take it slow.  
Make sure we are doing the right thing in the right place.  
He had never done a co-op and didn't know a thing about them.
But he does now.  After 4 years they now have 135 farms in the co-op.  

He commented that the Cambodian government is really encouraging them.  
They have a whole department set up to help you put it together.  Especially
if you're going to help the poor people in the villages. That is what he did.  

They sold shares in the co-op  for $25.00 USD each. You had to buy one and no
more than ten shares. After one year they had $40,000 USD. Now they make
loans with this money to poor families to start pepper farms.  Loans are
for one or two percent.  They are adding one or two farms every month. It has
taken four years to get to this point. Just think of how much more effect
it would have on the people if they were shown Jesus along with this!

He said first thing to do is to start our own fish farm so we can show 
them how we want it to work.  He said he would help with anything I
need. He also said we need to do organic and he will introduce me to the
man that will tell us just what we need to feed them. To meet that
requirement. Organic brings twice the money and there is a huge for it.

Why is it that the only help I seem to be getting is from the secular
world?  Don't get me wrong. I will take the help wherever I can get
it.  If that is how God is putting all this in my path then I will take full
advantage of it.  One of the reasons is most likely that the 
Christian mission has never done this kind of thing here. So I have
to get help from those that have been doing it.  Only when we do it
will everybody know that the reason this is possible is because of
Jesus. I was praying and asking God why I only seem to get support of
non-Christians.  What I heard, don't know if my thoughts or God speaking, 
but it was that they know how to do what I want you to do.  

There was my answer.

Yesterday met Rith's brother, sister and their husband and wife while 
there. They showed me a big lizard and asked if I wanted to come 
to dinner and eat.  I said sure. That really surprised them.  They couldn't 
believe I would eat Khmer food.  They asked why I was helping Rith.  
I said cause Jesus put us together.  All the money I give Rith for language 
class he gives to them so they can eat better. All of six dollars a week!  

We talked about Jesus a lot. They are very curious now.  I never brought it
up. They did.  But I took full advantage of it. Now they are waiting to
see just what I do.  I believe that what I do is much important than
what I say. If they see things happening then they will ask why. Then I
can talk to them and there is my opening.  They see something
happening and want to know why. Then there is action before behind
what I am saying not just words.  

By the way the lizard was great. Cooked in coconut milk (chanang). 

Delicious! 

Well enough for now.

God Bless! 

Tomorrow I meet with Rith's father.  Pray that it is a God thing. Not mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment