Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fish ponds and fried snake


Another great day with the Lord. They're great.  Sometimes just have to look harder to see it.    

Went to large fish farm only about two km from where the rice fields are that I showed you in the town Suong.   They raise two kinds of catfish.  One is called snake catfish the other just catfish.  The snake catfish take five to six months to raise and bring $2 US a kilogram. The catfish take three months and bring $1.25 US. They sell the snake catfish to Phnom Penh. The other  in villages close by. I asked if there was enough market for them if they started selling. She said surely. 

They have to change the water very third day. Running diesel pump to empty then electric pump in ground to  fill. They have 9 ponds. It cost them around $400.00 US a month to do this. I told her I was going to use water filters so wouldn't have to change the water.  Said that in the US you couldn't just pump dirty water out on ground.  Government would give big big fine and close you down. She couldn't believe that.  But she wanted to know all about my water filters.  After I explained it to her she wants me come and build her one.  I told her that after I have one working she could come and see it.  If she still wanted one then I would build it for her.  She said "no, I want now." "But I have not tested mine yet." I know it will work good but might have to work some bugs out of at first. So I said after "I would do one then I will do one for her."    

I think this could turn out to be whole new industry here making water filters for ponds. Only God knows. They also raise pigs sell baby pigs. They have ninety sows. Sell about 100 piglets a month and buy used bikes from China. Rebuild them then sell all over Cambodia. This is very rich family but very nice and really want water filters for there ponds.  She said if they work then maybe could go in partners in business.  Only they're in it for the money.  I would want to do it to help others.    

Most of people that work for them live there but not that good of conditions. Mr. Nang said later that was the trouble with Cambodians. They won't pay much for only want to make money. I told the same same in US.  I will send pic of all this. Look how they have their workers live.   

The sad thing is the people are thankful that they have place to sleep and eat. They eat there too. They get small wages. 30.00 month. Mr. Nang said he knew some NGOs that would give money to do this. I told him that it had to come from Christians if we were going to be involved. I tried to explain why but I don't think he really understood.  He looked at me funny. 

I think he thinks I am crazy but isn't that what Jesus said. We wouldn't be understood by the world. Sure have a lot of thinking now.  Hope I can follow through.  

Well not sure what else to say. Learned a lot again. I have the support of this family in business and who knows what God can do with it. 

Oh had to buy lunch.  Fried snake. Yes, snake and frog are very good.  I always wonder what my stomach will be like the next day after I eat something for the first time.  We will see in the morning.  But how do you say no?   

God Bless   

Mark





No comments:

Post a Comment